- It joins two or more conductors or substation components.
- It provides conductive path between the conductors being joined.
- Selection of substation connectors for use on overhead applications is dependent on the conductor type viz. Aluminium, ACSR, Copper etc.
- Electrical connection must exhibit low contact resistance and high conductivity.
- Based on function connectors may be classified into tap, terminal and splice.
SELECTION & DESIGN CRITERIA
High mechanical strength
Good surface-to-surface attachment
High mechanical withstand capacity
Low corona effect
- These connectors are designed for indoor and outdoor non-tension tap.
- It is mainly used for splicing purposes on insulated secondary distribution lines.
- IPCs are recommended for use on combinations of insulated copper and aluminium conductors.
- It is designed to sustain all weather conditions
- Easy to install.
- It is used to connect Al to Al conductors or Al to Cu conductors.
- Tin plated or coated with oxide inhibitor for corrosion resistance and moisture protection
- It is used as tension type joints, used for joining two lengths of conductors together between the towers.
- The joint shall not permit slipping off the conductor.
- Made of steel and aluminium sleeves for jointing the steel core and aluminium wires, respectively.
- These materials provides high strength and high conductivity features, respectively
- Tin plated or coated with oxide inhibitor for corrosion resistance and moisture Protection.
- It ensures most of the connector functions viz. tapping and terminal etc.
- The materials used for Lug should consist high strength and high conductivity.
- These are available for aluminium, copper, steel conductors and its bi-metallic combinations.
- It provides moisture ingress protection and prevents rainwater from entering cable.
- Lug should coated oxide inhibitor to prevent oxidation.
- This connector is made of C-body & Wedge type core.
- C-body in turn places high forces on the conductors for a reliable, stable connection.
- Available in both with bolt and bolt less type.
- Used for tapping purpose and service connection.